Steyning Bowls Club is a friendly club with something to suit all tastes. Our fixtures list is full of friendly matches with clubs as far away as Crawley, Littlehampton and Saltdean. The opportunity is available for members to improve their abilities by entering Competitions at both Club and County Level. We also have teams entered into the Sussex County competitions and enjoy many club fun days.
At the start of every season we organise open evenings and invited everyone to come along and try their hand at bowling. Please keep an eye out for the posters around the village and this website for further details.
The Club was formed in 1933 and the first Minutes were recorded in a meeting held at the Railway Hotel, Steyning on the 24th July, 1933 at 8.00 p.m. 25 Gentlemen were present and the first elected President was C.B.J. Clarke.
In September and October of 1933, a proposal was put forward to purchase timber and turf to lay a green at the rear of the Railway Hotel and in February it was agreed. The Green would have been completed by 25th April 1934, but unfortunately was not playable and so the first Match was played against Henfield on the 3rd May 1934.
During the years 1934/35 the Committee negotiated with the Sports Association for a new green to be laid at the Steyning Cricket Ground. The Club finally left the Railway Hotel and moved to the new Green on the 1st May 1936. A Club House was built and opened on the 22nd June 1936, the first woods being bowled by Mrs. Arthur Howard (Lady Lorna Howard).
At a special meeting held on the 24th June 1936, it was proposed that ladies could become members of the Club but this proposition was defeated, 7 votes for and 7 votes against. It was left to the Chairman’s casting vote which was against; It was not until 33 years later that ladies were admitted.
The club increased greatly, having approximately 42 male Members and 29 Female members. Consequently the clubhouse proved to be too small to accommodate all its equipment and Members, and in 1993/94 the old Pavilion was pulled down and the present Pavilion was built.